Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Computer runs faster because it is soldered.. haha..

I don't know about Apple computers, because I don't work
on them, but I have to say that I find iPods very easy to get
into, and all of the major parts are available from multiple
sources at what I think are remarkably sensible prices. Just
last week, I bought a replacement LCD assembly for a Classic,
and it was £10.20 (say $15) including tax and delivery. I got it
from my usual supplier here in the UK, and it looked as though
it was a factory-original part.

Your good fortune might simply be that there are so many iPods around that
3rd parties find it profitable to manufacture replacements. The fact that
you /did not/ purchase an Apple part -- for whatever reason -- doesn't say
much good about Apple.

I might also dump on Palm. After seven years, I had to replace the
lithium-ion battery in my Tungsten T3. Palm has illegally abandoned this and
other PDAs, so I had to go elsewhere. Prices were all over the place, as
high as $30. (You used to be able to get the battery and its installation
for $50 to $60, but no one seems to be doing it any more.)

I settled on an HQRP ("high-quality, reasonable price") battery for less
than $7, shipping included. It was surprisingly easy to replace (I expected
tsuris), and appears to be better (or at least have higher capacity) than
the original. Time will tell.