Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DIY magnetic bend brake - was "Magnabend"

Rich Grise wrote:
mike wrote:
On Feb 12, 12:43?pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I just made a 2-MOTE (MOT electromagnet) brake as an evaluation of the

,,,
Cool, the way you just go ahead and make things is inspiring.

Looking at the picture, I was surprised that one end was left open on
the electro-magnets,
I thought you'd need it 'capped' to concentrate the flux, but it's
been along time since I
studied that kind of stuff in school.

A "cap" would "short out" the magnetic field - the workpiece itself
completes the "magnetic circuit."

Cheers!
Rich

there's no way a piece of 20 guage sheet steel will complete the magnetic
circuit. If the work was 3/4" thick tranformer iron, like the missing I's
off the E cores, that would be perfect, and the clamping force would be as
good as it gets for transformer cores.

A keeper plate over the work would help too with getting the most clamping
force when using something like transformer cores in a lifting/holding
type application.