Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default How to properly dispose of CFLs

On Feb 12, 6:23*pm, aemeijers wrote:

I already mostly live in the dark, so if I can keep the volume down to
one box/trip per year, I can live with that. I hope it is on or near a
route I travel anyway, like my regular recycling dropoff is. The
karmic/green and dollar justification for recycling gets upside down
real fast if you have make a special trip and burn more gas to
accomplish it.

I keep meaning to switch from the small dumpster to the roll of stickers
to to put on my own bags- I only put a foot or so in the bottom of that
dumpster every week, living alone as I do, so I don't really feel I'm
getting my money's worth from Waste Management at $55 every 90 days. *No
way am I gonna pay them the extra 5 bucks a month to use their orange
recycle box. I've never seen a separate truck come around, and the big
packer truck has no second bin- I think they are landfilling all of it
until recycle prices go up again, if they ever do.

Your situation is a little more unusual than most. We already knew
that.

Recycling heavy metals is different than recycling a can or
cardboard. I am 99.9% positive that Home Depot and the like accept
CFLs for recycling. Let me check - BRB. Sorry, I was wrong. 100%
positive.
http://ext.homedepot.com/shopping-to...laboutcfl.html

Home Depot also accepts rechargeable batteries, and so does
RadioShack. I imagine RS might also accept CFLs.

This is just another episode of The Chicken Little Show - running
around flapping his wings instead of doing even a lick of research.
That would require 5 seconds of effort. And an open mind. The open
mind part is the problem. It's so much simpler to just find some
random (stupid) article that agrees with his preconceived, impervious
to reason, point of view and then post it.