Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Nuisance fastners - winge

Sylvia Else wrote:
On 12/02/2011 3:51 PM, kreed wrote:

On 2011-02-11, Sylvia wrote:

A conventional pedestal fan blows in such a direction that when it's
placed as near as possible to a window, the fan blades are still
quite a
way from the cool air, and so the result is not as effective as it
might
be. If I could reverse the direction of flow, then I could also turn
then fan around, so that the blades would be much closer to the
window.

I considered simply building a duct, but the cost of materials was
excessive.

I guess you didn't consider cardboard and packing tape then
or a cheap plastic bucket?

The fan is too big for a plastic bucket. I considered cardboard but it
was far from clear to me that it was going to be strong enough without
bracing that would further complicate the task.

This isn't a research project. I was looking for a solution that would
definitely work, and be robust.

Sylvia.

Some of those larger black plastic pot plant containers might be big
enough, also are sturdy,
UV resistant (since used outdoors in a garden).

Cut a piece of plywood to fit the window gap, cut a hole in the ply
suit the diameter
of the pot, (and at the right height to suit the fan) cut the bottom
out of the pot, and screw the pot to the ply.

This might make a big enough, and very strong duct for relatively
little cost. IIRC those pots are sturdy enough
so that they aren't likely to flap around in the wind. You can
probably paint them any colour you like, if you don't like black
colour.

It's an interesting idea. I'll have to look at what size pots are
available (and how much they weigh) next time I'm at the hardware store.

Mind you, plywood doesn't come cheap

Sylvia.

Is "winge" the Australian rendition of "whinge"? Just asking as Folks
from the USA spell colour or neighbour in an interesting way and I
figured Downunders may take similar liberties...

(ducking)

John ;-#)#

www.flippers.com