Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Sylvia Else[_2_] Sylvia Else[_2_] is offline

Default Nuisance fastners - winge

On 13/02/2011 12:10 AM, atec77 wrote:
On 12/02/2011 9:49 PM, F Murtz wrote:
atec77 wrote:
On 12/02/2011 7:15 PM, John Robertson wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
On 12/02/2011 8:28 AM, fritz wrote:

"Sylvia wrote in message
On 11/02/2011 11:56 PM, kreed wrote:
On Feb 11, 9:20 pm, Sylvia wrote:
On 11/02/2011 8:11 AM, ian field wrote:

"Sylvia wrote in message
On 10/02/2011 11:23 AM, Metro wrote:
"Sylvia wrote in message
I had occasion to dismantle a cheap pedestal fan the other day
(Coles
Collection). It hadn't failed, but I wanted to see how it was
wired up
(that's another story).

Curiosity, good! I'd hire you as an apprentice at my pinball shop.

That's not going to fix the problem of the blades being stalled.

Not sure about 'stalled' here, unless the gearing is designed to not
allow reverse direction I am having trouble understanding the problem
here.

What I would really need to do is fit the one-piece fan blade
assembly
on back to front (as well as reversing the motor), but the fan
blade
assembly is not designed to be attached the other way around.

Sylvia.

Might sound silly, but cant the entire fan head (including
motor) be
rotated 180 degrees, or do you want the
air intake without the motor in the way ?

The application is to suck cool air in through an open window at
night. During the recent heat wave, it was noticeable that even
though the temperature outside drops at night, the temperature of
the house doesn't drop that much. The problem is lack of air
flow.

A conventional pedestal fan blows in such a direction that when it's
placed as near as possible to a window, the fan blades are
still quite a way from the cool air, and so the result is not as
effective as it might be. If I could reverse the direction of
flow, then I could also turn then fan around, so that the blades
would be much closer to the window.

Stick the fan outside, blow the air inside. Lateral thinking is
absent
in the female of the species.

(to previous poster) Right, no lateral thinking in the female of the
species? Explain that to Madame Curie, Margaret Thatcher (OK, not a
great example), my daughter (5 year physics and math major), and so
on...

No worries, though it's 10' above the ground. I'll just cantelever out
a shelf, and a shelter (fan's not waterproof, and weather forecasts
are not sufficiently reliable), get a sparky in to do the weatherproof
electrics (which I could do myself but am not legally permitted to in
this Australian nanny state), and it'll be fine.

Sylvia.

You can't get a permit to do your own home wiring in Australia?
Not a chance and with good reason

Pity.
Here in most of Canada - as long as the city (or relevant jurisdiction)
electrical inspector OKs the job (permit required) - then the handy
homeowner is permitted to do their own work - obviously one does it to
the electrical code. I did quite a bit of improvements to my previous
home, the inspector came in, examined a few random spots (opened
sockets, boxes, etc) and like what he saw and signed off on the job. If
he wasn't happy I would have had to open every box to show the job.
This
inspection was before I put the wallboard up of course!

We have a system of indentured trades people , we also have 240ac and
415 ac electrical systems and the average home is fused to 120 amps or
more at the fuse box with individual power sockets to 10 amp@ 240v , you
generally only get once mistake at those levels hence the inability to
do your own work
The same with telecommunications equipment you have to use a trady or
suffer huge fines , thanks mainly to a few home installers doing serious
damage to local exchanges over the years

John :-#)#

Work by non trades people is not as dangerous as some people seem to
think.If you take the thousands and thousands of electrical items sold
in supermarkets etc the vast majority of which are installed illegally
by non licensed people and compare statistically the number of incidents
this causes you may realize it is not the problem alarmists may think.

One death or injury is to many
and considering some of the incredibly stupid electrical work getting
done I cant agree

We could allow people to attend courses, and get certificates allowing
them to do home electrical work. How hard can it be?

We live in a world full of dangers. Electricity is nothing special in
that respect.

Sylvia.