Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Sylvia Else[_2_] Sylvia Else[_2_] is offline

Default Nuisance fastners - winge

On 12/02/2011 8:28 AM, fritz wrote:

"Sylvia wrote in message ...
On 11/02/2011 11:56 PM, kreed wrote:
On Feb 11, 9:20 pm, Sylvia wrote:
On 11/02/2011 8:11 AM, ian field wrote:

"Sylvia wrote in message
On 10/02/2011 11:23 AM, Metro wrote:
"Sylvia wrote in message
I had occasion to dismantle a cheap pedestal fan the other day (Coles
Collection). It hadn't failed, but I wanted to see how it was wired up
(that's another story).

The cover to the button panel was held in place by four screws which
were
identical except that two were philips head type, and the other two had
triangular socket in the head.

I have bits to cope with most things I've encountered, but not those.
What's the point? Are they worried about competition for repairing these
$10 fans?

Do consumers regularly electrocute themselves by taking fans apart
without
knowing what they're doing?

Sylvia.

They are only a tamperproof head of which there are various and easily
available.. Wait until you come across a coffin head screw.I believe the
reason for using them is that some countries prevent the dismantle of an
appliance without the use of a tool or special tool so this way all
fields
are covered in one assembly. Did you find out how it worked. They are
made
to break. Best way to keep them longer is to keep the Blades clean and
lubricate the bearings NOT with WD40 or the like.

As I said, it hadn't broken. I was actually trying to figure out which
wire was which leading to the induction motor. I had in mind making it run
backwards. Aerofoils don't perform as well backwards, but they do perform.
However, on further consideration I realised that the fan blades would be
aerodynamically stalled if the fan ran backwards, with the result that it
would probably not work much at all.

If the fan is symetrical - snap off pairs of opposing blades.

That's not going to fix the problem of the blades being stalled.

What I would really need to do is fit the one-piece fan blade assembly
on back to front (as well as reversing the motor), but the fan blade
assembly is not designed to be attached the other way around.

Sylvia.

Might sound silly, but cant the entire fan head (including motor) be
rotated 180 degrees, or do you want the
air intake without the motor in the way ?

The application is to suck cool air in through an open window at night. During the recent heat wave, it was noticeable that even
though the temperature outside drops at night, the temperature of the house doesn't drop that much. The problem is lack of air
flow.

A conventional pedestal fan blows in such a direction that when it's placed as near as possible to a window, the fan blades are
still quite a way from the cool air, and so the result is not as effective as it might be. If I could reverse the direction of
flow, then I could also turn then fan around, so that the blades would be much closer to the window.

Stick the fan outside, blow the air inside. Lateral thinking is absent
in the female of the species.

No worries, though it's 10' above the ground. I'll just cantelever out a
shelf, and a shelter (fan's not waterproof, and weather forecasts are
not sufficiently reliable), get a sparky in to do the weatherproof
electrics (which I could do myself but am not legally permitted to in
this Australian nanny state), and it'll be fine.

Sylvia.