Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ring gear

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 19:32:48 -0500, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Steve W." wrote in message
Karl Townsend wrote:
The new ring gear for my tractor flywheel
should arrive today...

I've never done this. Pretty sure you just heat
it and drop on. OK,
how hot? I know there's only one shot, f%^k up,
and go buy another
ring gear. I'm planning to go round and round
with the rose bud and
need a guide line like hot enough to smoke oil,
etc. I got no way to
measure the temp. Surely, it don't need to go
to red hot.

Karl

Toss flywheel in freezer, make sure it is DRY
when you are ready to drop
on the ring gear though.

Toss the ring gear in an oven at 400 degrees for
20 minutes.
Pull the ring gear out, drop it onto the
flywheel.

Let them stabilize at room temperature and
you're done.

--
Steve W.

Is it really necessary to freeze the flywheel? Has
anyone ever
measured the reduction in diameter doing it this
way? Seems
to me to be a waste of time, the ring gear will
expand far more
than the wheel shrinks.......IMO......, eih? phil
k.

As stated previously it is the temperature differential that matters,
and to get adequate differential by heating alone the heated part may
be over-heated. By srinking the second part you gain significant
differential advantage without the danger of damaging the outer part
from overheat. If they are made of the same material each will change
size by virtually the same amount per degree of temperature change, in
opposite directions.