Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Buying a used air compressor: tips?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:47:34 -0500, wrote:

I will warn you, once you get hooked on air tools, you will wonder how
you lived without them. There is nothing better for working around
your dock. You have no electrocution fears and lots of power. I
borrowed a big air drill and I was spinning a 3/4" ship auger through
SYP pilings. The only trick was holding on so you didn't get thrown in
the water. They are air hogs. About half way through, I needed to stop
and let it catch up.

I don't have a dock, but one of my kids is a mechanic and has been
doing all my car work. He's got plenty of air tools at work, but has
no problem doing plenty of car work in my garage without them.
A lot of cars, and doing stuff he would use air for if he had it.
I wanted the compressor mostly for tires and sandblasting.
Never had a problem turning a wrench or breaking a nut manually.
He called yesterday and said his offer on a house was accepted.
House has a nice garage. And he'll be farther away.
I got a feeling at some point he'll ask to "borrow" the compressor for
use in that garage, and I'll say "sure" because he does so much for
me.
But it will bug me a bit when I want to use the compressor and it's at
his place. It's happened with other tools of mine.
But like the other tools, I always end up figuring he's putting them
to more use than me. And he's a good kid. So I get over it.
He got most of my wrench sets, and what I did was eventually buy some
new sets and lay down the law "These are mine, and mine only."

So now I'm thinking I'll get him the compressor as a "housewarming"
gift after he closes. Avoid all the in-between stuff.
Then see if I want to buy one for myself.

--Vic