Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Buying a used air compressor: tips?

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

In article
,
N8N wrote:

Here's what he gfretwell actually said:

"1HP is not the absolute limit on 115v but if it has a NEMA 5-15 plug
on it (15a breaker max) that is about all the motor you can reliably
start."

I don't claim to be an expert on motors, but based on some cocktail
napkin calculations, he's probably about right. Maybe a 1.5 HP motor
would be OK, maybe it wouldn't, but 2 HP is definitely right out.

nate

FWIW my Sears compressor says 1.6 amp running. I run it on a 15 amp
circuit, but I either turn off most of the lights on that circuit while
it's running or I make some trips out to the breaker box. Never had the
breaker pop just from the inrush current.

D'oh! 1.6 HP running ...