Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Frank J Warner Frank J Warner is offline

Default new to lathes

In article , ATP
wrote:

"Frank J Warner" wrote in message
news:090220111855149194%warnerf@veriSPAMMERSDIEzon .net...
In article , Cydrome Leader
wrote:

I just got my hands on a sherline 4400 mini-lathe. I know how metal
behaves with a file/saw/hammer- just not with machine tools.

I've been playing with some brass and learned about the drill bit leaving
triangular holes and other non-obvious things. I was able to turn down
some aluminum castings I made, but other than just making random shapes,
I'm somewhat at a loss as to where to get started. There's got to be
defacto books written 1000 years ago I need to grab.

What's suggested around here?

Lathes will come to you after you figure out the sandpaper:

Posted by Cydrome Leader on June 30, 2008, 5:55 pm

I have some sandpaper. It says it is wet/dry.

What does this mean? Can I used it wet OR dry? Will it make less dust
if I
use it wet? Can I wet it with water, or do I need special sandpaper
fluid?

I also noticed that coarser sandpaper has larger grit, and that it makes
bigger scratches. Finer sandpaper has smaller grit. This is all very
clever!

Cydrome Leader was trolling.

Trolling is different from deliberate taunting. In the case of the
archived post by CL above, the taunt was toward a specific member of
our little community. It was one of several, including among other
things the proper use of a hammer ("I have a hammer. Which end do I
hold?"). CL appeared to find these posts humorous when they were
actually malignant and immature, like a 12-year-old farting in an
elevator. Tee-hee-hee.

CL has a personality disorder that does not tolerate what the rest of
us might call basic questions about metalworking. This is
rec.crafts.metalworking, not pro.machinist.40yrs.experience. He doesn't
have the right to determine whether or not a participant's question is
"basic" or "advanced." If he feels it isn't, he should just STFU
instead of acting like a 6th-grader at recess.

I see that others responded to CL's query about Sherline lathes as if
it were genuine. Perhaps it was, which makes the whole thing sort of
ironic. I've forgotten more about Sherline lathes than CL will ever
learn. Had the OP been anyone different I might have helped. But I've
already spent enough time on this prick.

Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.sharpbywarner.com