Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default ring gear

Denis G. wrote:
On Feb 10, 7:10 am, Karl
wrote:
The new ring gear for my tractor flywheel should arrive today...

I've never done this. Pretty sure you just heat it and drop on. OK,
how hot? I know there's only one shot, f%^k up, and go buy another
ring gear. I'm planning to go round and round with the rose bud and
need a guide line like hot enough to smoke oil, etc. I got no way to
measure the temp. Surely, it don't need to go to red hot.

Karl

I changed a ring gear on a snowblower flywheel recently. I pressed
the old one off and installed a better one by heating it up in the
nose of a torpedo heater. It just fit. I pulled it out with some
vise grips and it dropped right in place. Worked great!

Here are some pictures of another shrink fit operation.

http://www.nps.gov/stea/photosmultim...ing_a_tire.pdf

Steel moves at 6 millionths per degree per inch diameter. You can
easily figure how much clearance you will get for a differential in
temperature of the two parts. A combination of chilling and heating
will do the job. Just make sure you have a stop for the ring gear as it
drops on the flywheel.
Those tires in the pictures are 84" in diameter and had an interference
fit of .040 Inch.
The material is 4140 alloy steel.

John