Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Mills Tom Mills is offline

Default Replacing and sheetrocking old ceilings and walls

"RogerT" wrote in message
This is regarding a possible rehab of another property that I own. It's
an older home with wood lath and plaster wall. I am considering tearing
out the lath and plaster down to the studs, then having it rewired
throughout, then having the ceilings and walls sheetrocked. I would
rather not sheetrock over the existing lath and plaster.

My question is about how contractors typically go about doing the
sheetrock over the old ceiling joists and wall studs. How do they deal
with the fact that after the demo of the original lath and plaster, the
ceiling joists and studs are often uneven -- that is, not "planed".

Do they usually just do the new sheetrock by going with what they have and
just shimming the areas that need to be shimmed to end up with a flat,
"planed", and even new sheetrock wall? Is there some other way that this
is usually done?

I have seen this done by cutting a 1 1/2" deep cut at the middle of the
stud, the thickness of a 2X4. There would be mutable cuts 3 1/2' apart the
width of a 2X4; chisel out the opening. Each stud would have the same cuts
at the same location by using a chalk line. You would then install a
continuous 2X4 into the slots that were cut out in each stud. The 2X4 would
then be screwed to each stud pulling all the studs out or in making them
square with each other. This also makes the wall stronger. Hope this makes
sense.

Tom