Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Reclaiming lead

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 14:34:41 -0800 (PST), whit3rd
wrote:

On Feb 9, 9:14*pm, "Whole-Wit" hhdh9uhh@fsb wrote:
Imagine 22,000 lbs of ground-up tires... [with recyclable lead and copper slugs]
One of the ideas we've had is to float the rubber in water and skim it off. *But, 1/2
of a sample amount floats, 1/3 sinks and 1/6 stays suspended.

Salt the water. More than half will float.

A shot tower that dribbles bits from above, with a suitable
crossventilation source, can separate the wheat from the
chaff, too.

How do grain separators work? Can you rent a threshing/winnowing
gizmo?

way too light weight.

That gave me this thought, truck it to the gravel pit and run through
the rock separator. the lead would come out the pea rock dump the
rest would go on through. Then truck it back.

Karl