Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default OT- Peak Uranium

In message , HappyHunter
writes
having read the Peak Oil thread, and the various responses saying we
should build nuclear power stations, it reminded me of an article I
read a while ago about Peak Uranium. Have we maybe missed that boat
already ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_uranium

I found this bit interesting ...

"According to the OECD redbook, the world consumed 67 kilotonnes
(150×106 lb) of uranium in 2002. Of that 36 kilotonnes (79×106 lb) of
was produced from primary sources, with the balance coming from
secondary sources, in particular stockpiles of natural and enriched
uranium, decommissioned nuclear weapons, the reprocessing of natural
and enriched uranium and the re-enrichment of depleted uranium tails."

In the above article, it says France ran out of uranium in 2002.

I'm sure I read or heard somewhere, that China are planning to build 80
nuclear power stations. Have just found another reference, they
currently have 13, have 27 under construction, 50 planned, and 110
proposed (whatever that all means).

So I guess china will be mopping up a lot of Uranium demand. You can
bet that China are "securing" their supply chain to ensure they get a
source of uranium.

So anyway, have we already missed the boat in the UK ?

Will we be building nuclear power stations as the Uranium runs out ?

By the time the UK actually gets around to doing anything, we won't have
enough power to build the things anyway

--
geoff