Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Finish Not Drying???

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Any help will be MOST appreciated! Thanks to all.

Rich.....

Most likely wet oil under the finish.

Minwax instructions indicate 8 to 24 hours before applying a finish. I
would say 48 to 72 is much safer, especially when only 55 degrees.
Also poly won't dry wel below 65 degrees.

You have a bit of a mess now. I would suggest to wipe it down with
mineral spirits as best possible. Then try coating with shellac. It
dries in minutes. It is good seperator between finishes and has
excellent adhesion in even extreme cases.

If the first coat works, then a few more coats of shellac.

And, bring it into a warmer environment.

I'd never even consider 24 hrs over a mineral stain on oak even in warm
weather and certainly not at in the 50s w/ likely high humidideedew to
slow evaporation down even more.