Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default ring gear

In article , "amdx" wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
.. .
The new ring gear for my tractor flywheel should arrive today...

I've never done this. Pretty sure you just heat it and drop on. OK,
how hot? I know there's only one shot, f%^k up, and go buy another
ring gear. I'm planning to go round and round with the rose bud and
need a guide line like hot enough to smoke oil, etc. I got no way to
measure the temp. Surely, it don't need to go to red hot.

Karl

When I was in high school the shop teacher put a ring gear on a flywheel.
He just put the flywheel in the freezer in the cafeteria and the ring in the
oven.
I don't know what temperature the oven was, but I recall the students were
impressed with how lose the ring was when he dropped it on the flywheel.
I seem to recall it was for an MG. YMMV
Mikek

Yep. My son and I did something similar when we rebuilt the transmission on
his car last spring: drum in the freezer overnight, annulus in the oven at
about 400 F for an hour, and it slid right on.