Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G.[_2_] Denis G.[_2_] is offline

Default ring gear

On Feb 10, 7:10*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
The new ring gear for my tractor flywheel should arrive today...

I've never done this. Pretty sure you just heat it and drop on. OK,
how hot? I know there's only one shot, f%^k up, and go buy another
ring gear. I'm planning to go round and round with the rose bud and
need a guide line like hot enough to smoke oil, etc. I got no way to
measure the temp. Surely, it don't need to go to red hot.

Karl

I changed a ring gear on a snowblower flywheel recently. I pressed
the old one off and installed a better one by heating it up in the
nose of a torpedo heater. It just fit. I pulled it out with some
vise grips and it dropped right in place. Worked great!