Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reclaiming lead

On Feb 10, 12:14*am, "Whole-Wit" hhdh9uhh@fsb wrote:

One of the ideas we've had is to float the rubber in water and skim it off. *But, 1/2
of a sample amount floats, 1/3 sinks and 1/6 stays suspended. *In a 1/3 cup of the
material, there was 64 grams of lead! *

I would do the dump in water and separate out the half that floats.
Then add new material to rebuild the backstop. Then in five years
when you do this again, 3/4 of the material ought to float. If you
keep reusing material that sinks, you will have just as much work
every time you do this.

If possible I would sell the material that sinks and stays in
suspension, to someone that is in the scrap business. Not really
worthwhile to make a system you will only use every five years. If
that is not feasible then build a relatively small sluice system and
take your time reclaiming the lead. The range will be up and in use
with the new material added to the material that floats.

Some of your members might even do the work of reclaiming the lead in
return for lead to use in casting bullets.

Dan