Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default Buying a used air compressor: tips?

On 2/8/2011 9:18 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
Tony wrote:

On 2/7/2011 9:18 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
Tony wrote:

Do not buy an "oilless" piece of crap.

And do not buy an oiled piece of crap. "Oilless" and "piece of crap" are
*not* synonymous. My oil free compressor was about $600, and I love it.
It's also very quiet, BTW.

Really? A quiet oilless? Now I am curious how many HP it says and what
the CFM at 90# is? And were you able to hear it run before buying it or
had you heard it is quiet from someone else?

I got it as Sears, I'm guessing about 7 years ago. It's a two stage.
High side is 175 p.s.i. and low side output is whatever you set it at.
(Has two built-in gauges, one for each stage, and of course a regulator
on the output) Built on a hand truck platform, so it's easily moved
around. 25 gallon vertical tank, motor sits on top. HP listed as 1.6
running, 3.5 "max developed." 120V.

CFM rating not given in the manual. Recommended duty cycle is 50-75%,
although according to the manual it is "capable of running continuously."

Normally CFM is marked on the compressor/tank/cover along with the other
specs.

As far as quiet, it *is* a compressor, but two people can readily stand
next to it and converse in only slightly elevated tones. I had the
salesman wheel it and 3 or 4 other models over to the nearest outlet so
I could listen before I bought.

Interesting. I'd like to hear an oiless compressor that doesn't sound
similar to an old Wagner electric paint sprayer on steroids.