Posted to uk.d-i-y
SS[_2_] SS[_2_] is offline

Default Loft Hatch

"Lobster" wrote in message
On 09/02/2011 17:51, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/02/2011 16:47, Roger Cain wrote:
My 1820's build house has a rediculous sized loft opening of 60x30cm. V.
difficult to use.
I want to install a loft ladder which need far more space than this. I
could
make a decent sized hatch but this would need a 2-3 ft. length of one
joist
to be removed. I have visions of ceiling collapsing and a shower of ton
slates on my head. Can anyone reassure me that there will be no
calamity?
Any precautions I could take while sawing out a 3ft. section?

Easy enough...

[...]

I would totally concur with John's answer, except I'd want to eyeball the
situation first! TBH I can't think of any specific gotchas but I think
I'd want to be reassured that the joist/ceiling/roof structure is as we're
assuming, before going ahead.

David

I agree with David, best to be sure.
Can you take a few pictures showing structure above / below and actual area
to be cut as that might help others to advise.
Link the pics on here.