Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_4_] Jon Danniken[_4_] is offline

Default Buying a used air compressor: tips?

wrote:
1HP is not the absolute limit on 115v but if it has a NEMA 5-15 plug
on it (15a breaker max) that is about all the motor you can reliably
start.
There are some 1.5 HP motors that run on 120v but they will require a
20a breaker and a NEMA 5-20 plug if they want to get a U/L listing.

If you want to believe you have a 3HP compressor, go for it but I
would look at the air output myself.

There are about 100 articles on the net about "SPL" rated motors and
they all have the word "lie" or "inflated" in them

I never stated that I had a 3HP compressor, I stated that the motor on my
compressor is a 3HP SPL motor, with a rating of 15A at 115V.

You stated that " If it is 120v it will not be more than 1HP," which is
complete and utter bull****, as is most of the rest of the horse**** you
have tried to pile on to cover your ass.

I should know better than to attempt to have an honest discussion with
people on usenet.

Jon