Ian

Default Central heating /hw system banging

(Tim) wrote in message om...
Chaps hi,

hoping for a bit of advice here. I have recently moved house to a
property which was built circa 1987. One item picked up on the survey
was that when the bolier came on (ch or hw) it made lots of loud
banging noises. So it has been doing this for at least 6 months

Tim,

Exactly the problem I had when we moved into our house built in about
1987 (Myson Appollo 40k btu, fully pumped Y plan, and lots of banging
on startup. The banging was preceded by the boiler whistling. No sound
from the pump until the banging then a very obvious hiccup and lots of
circulation noises. I verified that in about 50% of the time the pump
was not starting immediately that the boiler fired up, the water in
the boiler heat exchanger boiled and made the explosive banging noises
and the vibration in the pipes kick started the pump.

Eventually the pump failed to start completely (coldest day of last
winter) and BG replaced it (I was away at the time so my wife called
out BG under the service agreement which is why I have it) no further
problems...just minor circulation noise. BG wanted to replace the heat
exchanger or preferrably the entire boiler before I pointed out by
phone that the pump was not working.

More recently I finished the job by a complete primary system flush
and clean according to Andy Hall's procedure and replaced valves with
TRVs. The system is now like new..even the minor circulation noises
have gone.

Cheers

Ian