Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default Loft Hatch

In message
,
" writes
On Feb 9, 4:51*pm, " wrote:
On Feb 9, 4:47*pm, "Roger Cain"
wrote:

My 1820's build house has a rediculous sized loft opening of 60x30cm. V.
difficult to use.
I want to install a loft ladder which need far more space than
this. I could
make a decent sized hatch but this would need a 2-3 ft. length of one joist
to be removed. I have visions of ceiling collapsing and a shower of ton
slates on my head. Can anyone reassure me that there will be no calamity?
Any precautions I could take while sawing out a 3ft. section?

TIA

I really wouldn't cut the joist.

Cutting the joist is standard practice, how else do you think you make a
decent sized hatch?

Once the joist is cut, you fix a couple of lengths of timber (like the
joists obviously) across to support the end of the cut joist, and make
the sides of the hole.

As for cutting the joist. If it's a lath and plaster ceiling, then
removing the laths and plaster and cutting the joist will probably make
a bit of mess round the edge of the hole, as it's hard to do it really
neatly, and the plaster tends to fall off a bit, but it's easily
patched/filled afterwards.

I didn't bother when I did mine, but you could fix a couple of bits of
4x2 or whatever across the joists each side of the opening to support it
while it is cut

But really, it's not hard task, the joists are only normally supporting
the ceiling, it's not all going to come tumbling down.
--
Chris French