Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred Fred is offline

Default Deoxit on "pots"?

(Dave Platt) wrote in news:ih4928-a76.ln1
@radagast.org:

I don't think I'd use WD-40 as a cleaner and residual treatment (due
to its possible tendency to gum up), *or* leave DeOxIt on the contacts
long-term (due to possible active effects from the active ingredients).

I'll put your mind at ease. It's simply not true. Expression pedal pots
in old organs are run CONSTANTLY up and down by the organists foot the
whole time it's being played, especially in spinet organs with one octave
of pedals for only the left foot. They pump those volume level pedals
even fast to get Leslie-like effects. The pots are the sealed, heavy use
types in "some" organs. Others, they're just pots with specially made-
for-that-model shaft lenghts that lock to a plate to keep them spinning
around pumped too hard. They all go through hell if the organist is
halfway decent.

I sprayed WD 40 into those sealed pots by removing the shell 10, 20, 30
years ago! They're still pumping them! Many of them, I never heard from
again and only checked the pots when I was fixing other problems with the
organs having their keys beaten off!

Not a single one of those pots was all gummed up with WD40 in all those
years. It's bunk.