Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lewis Hartswick Lewis Hartswick is offline

Default Magnabend

Winston wrote:

At the end of my recent "Novel Post", I conclude the same thing.
See the last paragraph, starting "Another possibility..".

I don't quite get this C E C configuration you are talking
about. I know all about I E laminations, I've built a few
transformers in past years (when I was doing Ham Radio bit)
and even "Pot Cores".

I remember "Pot Cores"! Where did I put the shim?

Please see:
http://www.magnabend.com/media/images/advantages4.gif

Looking at the pole piece, it's clear that the entire
middle of the electromagnet is built on an 'E' core.
Note that the middle leg of the 'E' does not extend to the
leftmost edge of the electromagnet. That is where the
winding makes it's turn.
The outer vertical legs *do* extend to the edges of the
electromagnet, though.

*That* extension has the cross-sectional resemblance to
the letter 'C' so that is what I'm on about, because I
would have totally puzzled some by referring to it as a
"[" lamination.

--Winston

Aw So. Now I understand. Thanks.
...lew...