Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hope and Change - How is it working out....

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 13:01:16 -0700, Steve Ackman
wrote:

I GOT A PHONE CALL ONE DAY FROM A FRIEND WHO HAD RECENTLY opened an Indian
jewelry store in Arizona... the turquoise pieces were of good quality for
the prices she was asking; yet they had not sold. My friend had attempted a
couple of standard sales tricks to get them moving. She tried calling
attention to them by shifting their location to a more central display
area; no luck. She even told her sales staff to "push" the items hard,
again without success.
Finally, the night before leaving on an out-of-town buying trip, she
scribbled an exasperated note to her head saleswoman, "Everything in this
display case, price x 1/2" hoping just to be rid of the offending pieces
even if at a loss. When she returned a few days later, she was not
surprised to find that every article had been sold. She was shocked,
though, to discover that, because the employee had read the "1/2" in her
scrawled message as a "2," the entire allotment had sold out at twice the
original price!

OK. I should reread that book soonest...
And re-reread _Unintended Consequences_.

Remember, once the prophesied occurences don't, the
faithful become even more rabidly faithful.

I didn't catch the Obama interview on O'Reilly last Saturday, did you?

Not at the time, but it's available.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3SX0lRWjEk

I'll definitely have to watch the squirming, though I'm sure it was an
entirely scripted scene.

Yeah, O'R seemed to be O's bestest friend.

'til the end. bseg

Speaking of friends, this rancher was one, eh?

--snip-- pics omitted for Usenet

DEA officer stops at a ranch in Texas, and talks with an old rancher.
He tells the rancher, "I need to inspect your ranch for illegally
grown drugs." The rancher says, "Okay , but don't go in that field
over there," as he points out the location.

The DEA officer verbally explodes saying, " Mister, I have the
authority of the Federal Government with me." Reaching into his rear
pants pocket, he removes his badge and proudly displays it to the
rancher. "See this badge? This badge means I am allowed to go
wherever I wish... On any land. No questions asked or answers given.
Have I made myself clear? Do you understand? "

The rancher nods politely, apologizes, and goes about his chores.

A short time later, the old rancher hears loud screams and sees the
DEA officer running for his life chased by the rancher's big Santa
Gertrudis bull.

With every step the bull is gaining ground on the officer, and it
seems likely that he'll get gored before he reaches safety. The
officer is clearly terrified. The rancher throws down his tools, runs
to the fence and yells at the top of his lungs

"Your badge. Show him your BADGE!"

--snip--

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.