Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Buying a used air compressor: tips?

Jon Danniken wrote:
bud-- wrote:
A lot of people here work with electric motors - no one seems to know
what SPL is. Jon might but he isn't saying much.

The two local motor rewinders that I called yesterday told me it stood for
"special", as in it is a particular type of rating used in motors for
specific applications, namely compressors.

Much more appropriately I saw someone call it "Someone's Probably Lying".

I'm sure you could contact Magnetek/Century (the manufacturer of the motor
on my compressor) for a more specific answer.

Now apparently owned by AO Smith.
IMHO their website sucks. I looked earlier for info on SPL and couldn't
find anything, including no phone number.

I agree with everyone but Jon that it is an excuse to lie.

The only "lie" would be calling a 3HP SPL (15A/115V) motor a 3HP motor,
which may have been the case in the past with less than reputable merchants
such as Sears/Craftsman, among others. To some of the participants on this
newsgroup, that is an excuse to consider legitimate motor manufacturers
guilty of the same type of deception, even when they properly label their
products.

There was a class action lawsuit about 5 years ago about fraudulent HP
ratings on compressors/motors. The manufacturers lost and were supposed
to use real HP ratings. You have the old fraudulent rating hidden behind
"SPL". Your 3HP rating is a lie intended to deceive. The same as in
class action lawsuit (with a minor cover your ass).

gfretwell wrote "if it is 120v it will not be more than 1HP." He is
right. Yours works because it is not a 3HP motor. Because of past, and
apparently current, fraud about everyone here has said ignore HP ratings.

I believe the phrase "when all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like
a nail" is appropriate here.

Is there any reason why the "real" HP is not used?
How is a 3HP SPL motor different from a motor with a real HP rating?
What possible reason is there to use "SPL"?

I can think of one reason.
It is the same fraud as in the class action lawsuit about 5 years ago,
with a minor cover-your-ass.

--
bud--