Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default key ring where to buy?

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:20:10 -0800 (PST), N8N
wrote:

On Feb 7, 11:26*pm, aemeijers wrote:
On 2/7/2011 10:21 PM, mm wrote:

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 10:57:45 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Feb 7, 1:41 pm, *wrote:
On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 08:57:11 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

86805T39
Zinc-Plated Steel Split Ring, 1.159" ID
In stock at $8.61 per Pack
This product is sold in Packs of 25

the pic shows the kind I don't like, the heavier gauge wire with only
2 turns, that tend to get "sprung" easily

OTOH how about a spare for the mechanic?

might just have to ask him next time I take car in, but the ones they
use are pretty small in diameter unlike a "normal" key ring of 1" or
1.25" or so

I know they exist as I have *one* but it came with car

So buy another car.

I've been using the ones you don't like for 50 years and I've never
had one come close to springing. Just stop putting big coins with
holes in the middle on them and use them for keys only.

Some of my keys are similarly large, is the problem. *I can't stop
carrying those. *For some reason auto mfgrs. in particular seem to
like to make keys have goofy big plastic heads with the holes in them
far away from the edge of the key.

I have a car too, with a big key.

Have you actually sprung a second key ring, or do they just look like
the one that broke? *If so, buy a third one somewhere else and it
maybe be different.

Drill another hole closer to the edge. *Make sure you won't hit an
electronic chip.

nate

Ooh! A pet peeve of mine! Those idiotic combined-key-and-remote-fob
monsters Chrysler used in mid-80s. They musta thought only people
carrying purses bought their minivans. Damn thing is so big (almost like
a serving spoon), and the ring loop is in such a bad spot, there is no
way for a normal male to keep a ring with that on it in his pants pocket.

A previous dealer/lienholder had kept the 2nd fob key somewhere in the
chain, so I had to waste 130 bucks on the way home getting 2 more keys
with normal size heads. (If you only have one chip key, ya hafta get the
magic number from dealer, and go to a locksmith with the machine.)

Of course, since they assume everyone will carry the silly huge key with
the buttons, they only put a lock cylinder on driver's door and hatch,
which is a constant PITA. I automatically hit the 'unlock' button when I
get out now, so I can load stuff when I come back to car, without
setting stuff down on the (usually wet around here) ground.

Never understood the appeal of button key fobs. You are standing at the
car door anyway. Is sticking the key in the lock such a difficult process?- Hide quoted text -

Apparently. My company car has no lock cylinder for the trunk lid,
and to make matters worse, the buttons for the rear doors are at the
rear of the doors not the front, so if the battery goes dead, here is
the procedure for retrieving the jumper cables:

1) unlock driver's door with key
2) climb into back seat
3) unlock rear door
4) climb out again
5) fold down rear seat back
6) pull out milk crate with emergency supplies
7) retrieve jumper cables

really? This is progress?

nate

What make and model??