Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Magnabend

Lewis Hartswick wrote:
Winston wrote:
True for an electromagnet assembled using factory fixtures
and laminating techniques. I'm trying to envision how to
build a (bottom coil) U - core electromagnet without relying
on an 'L-I' core assembly and it's additional gap, using
'hobbiest' level tools and techniques. I agree that a
U-core electromagnet assembled with coils on the vertical
arms could be built by a hobbyist without any additional
gaps. Making *that* electromagnet in such a way as to not
interfere with the bending surface on the front of the machine
would be an interesting exercise.

If we don't take into "too much" account the efficiency and
cost of wire, The entire coil could be on the rear leg ie.
fill the space "inside" with the turns.

Two great minds, Lew.

At the end of my recent "Novel Post", I conclude the same thing.
See the last paragraph, starting "Another possibility..".

I don't quite get this C E C configuration you are talking
about. I know all about I E laminations, I've built a few
transformers in past years (when I was doing Ham Radio bit)
and even "Pot Cores".

I remember "Pot Cores"! Where did I put the shim?

Please see:
http://www.magnabend.com/media/images/advantages4.gif

Looking at the pole piece, it's clear that the entire
middle of the electromagnet is built on an 'E' core.
Note that the middle leg of the 'E' does not extend to the
leftmost edge of the electromagnet. That is where the
winding makes it's turn.
The outer vertical legs *do* extend to the edges of the
electromagnet, though.

*That* extension has the cross-sectional resemblance to
the letter 'C' so that is what I'm on about, because I
would have totally puzzled some by referring to it as a
"[" lamination.

--Winston