Posted to uk.d-i-y
geraldthehamster[_2_] geraldthehamster[_2_] is offline

Default Cost of building Porch

On Feb 8, 5:18*pm, Tim Watts wrote:
geraldthehamster ) wibbled on Tuesday 08 February 2011
15:43:

On 8 Feb, 10:53, "john *reeves" wrote:
Passed by this front porch being built nearby and thought i might try to
build one myself. Its built on a concrete base that comes to near the
level of the front door.

http://tinypic.com/r/2yzkkjt/7

On speaking to the builder I asked what he would charge to build one, he
said £6,700. He said the door alone cost £700.

My son is always telling me I'm 40 years behind when i put a price on
things, so i'm thinking with such high cost of the door and materials
etc, that £6,700 might be a reasonable price for such a porch? Or if not
what would be a reasonable price to pay for such a build these days?

I'm sure you could pay a builder that much to contruct something like
that, bearing in mind that a lot of the money will go on paying him to
turn up, sit in his van and read the Daily Mirror.

I'm planning on building a porch of similar size myself this summer,
so I'll cost that as I do it. Without the crappy plastic, obviously.

Cheers
Richard

Double glazing panels are not hugely expensive by the metre - toughened
single layer glass less so, so if one has the time, you could make the porch
window frames yourself and manually glaze.

Some porches are made entirely out of timber bar the base.

--
Tim Watts- Hide quoted text -

I'm going to do it in timber, apart from a couple of rows of bricks up
to the level of the house damp course. I'll get some suitable windows
and a door from eBay, probably. Maybe something with stained glass.
Unfortunately it will need to be flat roofed, as I have no space
between the top of the existing doorway and the bungalow fascia, and
have no desire to start interfering with the existing roof.

Cheers
Richard