Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Strain relief for electrical cord on old appliance?

On Feb 8, 8:29*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Go to the electrical section of your local hardware, and ask
for a "Romex connector". Should look like this.
* *http://www.electrical-forensics.com/...er-MyHome-1b-L...
You'll have to enlarge the hole in the back of the
appliance, but it will save you labor in the long run, not
replacing the cord. And much safer.

Any electrician should have them, and will probably give you
one free, if you ask politely. He may also have the
necessary punch, to enlarge the hole in back of your
appliance.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Prof Wonmug" wrote in message

We have a very old appliance that has an electrical cord
with no
strain relief. The cord comes out of a square hole in the
back. I have
replaced the original cord with one that it more heavy-duty,
but it
still eventually shorts out. I'm going to go get a piece of
stiff
tubing about 1" long that will fit into the hole and run the
cord
through that. Is there a better idea?

Automotive stores offer a wide range of rubber plugs and grommets that
may be useful. When I need one I tend to be more interested in finding
a plug that will fit because I can always make a hole in it. Use
these with the Underwriter's knot

Jimmie