Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Can cheap skirting look like oak?

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 14:28:46 -0800, David Robinson wrote:
We're having some engineered oak doors, and just want to wax them (no
shiny finish for the kids to chip off). It would be nice if the
architrave and skirting vaguely matched, but not at £5/m.

I did some crappy pine tables for some of the houseplants with Minwax red
oak stain and Minwax clear laquer on top, and they match the red oak
stair rail pretty well - the colour's slightly darker, but not enough
that it bothers me.

After that experience, I'm considering going the same way for the
skirting too, mainly because I want something slightly taller and thicker
than the typical skirting sold.

cheers

Jules