Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Old Violin

Steve B wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote

Yep. My son found a new CORVETTE SUN ROOF (or hard top or something
to do with the roof on a Corvette) on the curb that was put out for
heavy trash pickup. Sold the sumbitch on Ebay for over $400 !

My first two sales on ebay were an Alpine front control panel that the
volume control didn't work very well on. I bought a good one on ebay
for $50, and used the old one for a paper weight for a couple of
months. Then I got a 18w. Dewalt charger that a guy left in one of
my rentals. No battery, no nothing, just a charger. I described the
Alpine front panel in detail, with its malfunctioning volume control.
Apparently someone who worked on them bought it for $40. The battery
charger went for $25. My best deal was a travel trailer I got for
$200 and sold for $4300. Lots of other stories. Think I'm going to
start doing some more soon on estate sales, and "home run" items.

I can top that - sort of. I sometimes drive around my neighborhood the night
before heavy trash pickup. On one of these foraging expeditions, I spied,
and gathered to my bosom, a military jerry can that looked to be in good
shape. It was.

When I got it home, there, stenciled on the bottom, was "3A Sep 44". If I
decode this properly, the can was put into service with George Patton's 3rd
Army Corps three months before the Battle of the Bulge!

This little can helped rescue the 101st Airborne Division (even though they
never asked to be rescued).