Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default What wood you do?

On Feb 8, 5:14*am, Clive George wrote:
On 08/02/2011 00:03, Andy Dingley wrote:

By "slice", I'm guessing you mean a transverse disk. You have pretty
much no chance of this drying without splitting (anything over 4"
diameter). The reasons are slightly complicated to explain in detail,
so if the usual pinheads could please go and read Bruce Hoadley before
arguing, we'd all save some time.

Assuming I don't have Bruce Hoadley to hand, but don't see any reason to
argue, is this because the thin stuff isn't strong enough? You say it's
complicated in detail, but could you give an idiot's summary? (mostly I
can see why it would split, but am vague as to why bigger stuff wouldn't)..

The there is more moisture in the outer layers of trees than the inner
so it shrinks more, basically. That causes cracks, esp. if the drying
out process is rapid. If rapid, the inner bit doesn't get to dry out
at all.
Drying has to be a slow process to allow the inner to dry.
The timber is cut into planks and stacked with battens between. The
ends are often painted to stop drying beint too quick.
This is air drying. Most timber takes a year for every inch thickness
of the planks to dry out (or "season").