Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Can cheap skirting look like oak?

David Robinson ) wibbled on Tuesday 08
February 2011 08:24:

On Feb 7, 11:30 pm, Tim Watts wrote:

I'm using real oak skirting - mostly because I never want to paint the
bloody stuff - I hate painting endless miles of wood that gets chipped in
a year and looks crap until the next repaint.

Yes, exactly.

I didn't feel the price was too bad considering some people pay twice as
much for a set of curtains which will be dead in 1/20 of the time that
the skirting is.

True - but my worry is that, as I'm putting it on top of the laminate
(to save beading) it might end up having the same lifetime as the
laminate!

Screw and plug - that's what I did (stainless/brass screws requuired for
oak). It's not hard - bit longer than gluing it on but you can pop the plus
out and unscrew it.

But - to address your point - in my old flat I did exactly as you were
suggesting - used pine.

I went over it with a microporous stain/finish of some sort

that sounds like outdoor stuf?

Don't think it was - there are microporous non external finishes.

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts