Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ice Dams

?
"cubby" wrote

Some people round here use a long
sock filled with ice melter, which they place on top of the dam (or if
you get to it before it forms, the gutter). That might help also, but
may involve a ladder...

Was this a problem before or just after the new roof? If the latter,
suggests they changed something, probably the ridge vent. Not all
ridge vents are very effective.

Hmmm, apparently the hockey pucks are a waste of time. My work buddy
tried them on his house over the weekend - apparently no difference
whatsoever, despite the ambient temperature climbing up into the low
thirties.

Seems to me, they'd have to be in just the right spot and be able to spread
the brine across the dam as the salt melts. Just tossing them on the roof
is pointless.