Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred Fred is offline

Default surges slowly destroying

mm wrote in
news
I notice that radiosure has to be downloaded. Do radiossure or
shoutcast have any drawbacks, like requiring a tool bar or anything?

Shoutcast is commercial but you can listen to anything on it with your
fav media player like Winamp. There are pointers to the M3U playlist for
each station that outputs MP3 or other formats. I think AOL/Winamp owns
Shoutcast.

The Linux boys have a great, open source of course, radio system you
might want to listen to called Icecast.
http://icecast.org/
The software on the site is SERVER software for Linux and Windows so you
can become one of their radio stations and get sued by the RIAA money
mongers. They'll just want their license fees when they catch you....or
else. Click on STREAM DIRECTORY to get to the station list. Again, any
player that supports M3U or XSPF playlist streaming can connect directly
to the servers across the planet. Icecast has:
Statistics

* Total streams: 7274
* Ogg Vorbis: 269
* MP3: 6677

on it tonight. Totally open source supported, like any good Linux group.
All free to anyone who cares to connect. Many national radio stations,
like Radio Swiss, use Icecast for free distribution so there's some
really great professional sources across the planet to listen to without
being trashed by spam, spyware and hounded to death to buy something.
Spamming is not allowed on Icecast...jealously protected by a dedicated
group of hackers.

Radiosure has no load. I've never seen it do anything in all the time
I've used it. It's not a commercial venture....just a bunch of radio
lovers and hackers.

My nighttime station is classic country and western from KSEY in Seymour,
Texas. If you're gonna listen to cowboy music, you need to be in cowboy
country. The local ads with that Texas drawl are great. At night KSEY
plays a syndicated classic country feed called "Legend Radio", very well
done, the old network way! They're playing "Just Another Bridge To
Burn" as I'm typing this. The former pirate radio kid from high school
inherited it from his mother, still a true family radio station. His
picture of his pirate station is on the webpage...(c;] KSEY also has a
repeater in KS. His server supports 4 different protocols. The low-res
24Kbps mono MP3 feed sounds just like AM without the static, of course,
which goes along with the historic music being played. "I Got Texas In
My Soul" is on now. He bills the station as "Anything you'd hear from a
honky tonk jukebox"...and it's very close!

Teens from the high school take control of the console after school in
the afternoon and he trains his continuing replacement operators from the
high school. The kids also do the high school basketball and football
games with LIVE narration just like they did when I was a kid. KSEY is a
great little station in N central Texas town of Seymour, where you can
still get lunch at the old folks home, CHEAP!...(c;]

http://www.radioksey.com/