Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gunner's computer won't go on-line

"Wes" wrote in message
Hawke wrote:

You need to move into the 21st century. Most of the people you are
teaching will wind up buying semi autos. Revolvers are just not nearly
as popular as they once were. Spending time teaching with a revolver is
a waste of time. Go right to the semi auto. Any .22 you use has little
recoil so there is no advantage to a big heavy revolver. Also you're
teaching beginners so great accuracy in your gun isn't that important
either.

Seven yard point shooting seems to be what needs to be learned. For newbies that
translates to front sight, press. You don't need 25 yard accuracy for defending one
self
but it never hurts to be proficient at any discipline one takes up.

Revolvers such as the J frame S&W still have a place and are often carried instead
of the
currently popular .380 acp autoloader. As often said, better a gun you have than a
better
gun you don't have.

For some people, a revolver may be the safest option in the long run. Revolvers are
fairly simple things to understand, if the hammer is coming back, the cylinder is
rotating, something loud is going to happen. On the unloading front, all empty
holes in
cylinder, it is unloaded. Neophytes get caught by that one round up the tube thus
why
magazine safeties exist on some autoloaders.

For the record, I carry a 10+1 S&W M&P compact in .40. That with one spare mag is
21
rounds. What is the chance I'm ever going to have to fire one shot let alone 21?

A J frame though, is one my bucket list, that is often carried as backup.

Wes

I have a 442 J-frame and like it! I'm not conscious that it's even there anymore. So
far, I'm more accurate with it than my buds with their compact autoloaders. It seems
practice has something to do with it, but I'm not sure. Maybe the little revolver
just got more accurate with age.

I've been giving some thought to carrying a speedloader or at least some spare rounds.
Have you ever used the strip type loaders?