Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cost of LPG gas comparison

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 20:51:22 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson wrote:

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 14:48:46 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

We're seeing about 10 cents per kWh here at the moment for

propane,
whereas our electric baseboard heat is charged at 4.5 cents per

kWh,

I'm in the US, not NZ

Oops WTF is in NZ? Ah "Matty F"...

- so I think that's about 6.1p/kWH for propane and 2.7p/kWH for 'leccy.

Still considerably cheaper than over here. Good 'ole "Rip Off
Britain". The cheapest of the off peak rates aren't far short of
double your electric rate. Standard rate cheapest is more like
8p/kwhr.

The electric for the baseboards is load-controlled, so gets switched off
remotely by the power company at peak periods

So a variable off peak rate, is there a guranteed minimum number of
hours/day that you will get supply for or can they switch it off for
days at a time?

Those sort of tarrifs might start to appear when "smart" meters have
become more common. Isn't the roll out of those supposed to have been
completed by now according to the annoucement made by HMG a year or
so back?

--
Cheers
Dave.