Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default What wood you do?

On 08/02/2011 00:03, Andy Dingley wrote:

By "slice", I'm guessing you mean a transverse disk. You have pretty
much no chance of this drying without splitting (anything over 4"
diameter). The reasons are slightly complicated to explain in detail,
so if the usual pinheads could please go and read Bruce Hoadley before
arguing, we'd all save some time.

Assuming I don't have Bruce Hoadley to hand, but don't see any reason to
argue, is this because the thin stuff isn't strong enough? You say it's
complicated in detail, but could you give an idiot's summary? (mostly I
can see why it would split, but am vague as to why bigger stuff wouldn't).