Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Whatever happened to DIY dry cleaning.?

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011 03:31:11 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Feb 2, 11:34*am, mm wrote:
Whatever happened to DIY dry cleaning.?

Someone mentioned they have a box that looks like Dryel but is generic
so one can do dry cleaning in his own home.

Good idea?

I never knew or don't remember why do it yourself dry cleaning
machines at laundromats disappeared.

Dry cleaning fluids are highly toxic and atmospheric pollutants that
destroy the ozone layer. "Same day" and DIY dry cleaning is very
dangerous as the fluid has not had time to disperse from the clothing.
The fluid can be absorbed through the skin.
Several of the commonly used ones cause cancer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrach...lth_and_safety

One of the things we're better off without.

Thanks, and thanks all. John's was particularly interesting.