Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snowblower engine needs choke to run smoothly

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 14:22:39 -0500, "Twayne"
wrote:

In ,
Oren typed:
:: On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 22:22:54 -0500,
:: wrote:
::
::: the vast majority of snow blower engines do
::: NOT have an air filter (because it would very quickly
::: freeze up,
::
:: I've read that here before and can't figure why I keep
:: banging my head on the wall ;-)
::
:: Thanks

My Ariens have air filters; both of them. One is 20+ years, the other about
3 years. Neighbor's Sunbeam has one. They never plug even when it's pushed
right in underneath the snow that's too deep for it. Once the engine starts
to warm up, nothing is going to freeze anything shut. They're not very
complex filters; just enough to keep junk from going in.

Others however don't have air filters. Whether that's most or a few, I
don't know. Point is, statements should never be "always" or "all" or
"never". On Ariens, the filter is part of the cover over the carb's air
entry shroud.

It is a screen fine enough to keep the squirrels from making a nest,
and that is about it. I have an 8hp Briggs snowblower engine sitting
in the garage and it has about 1/4 or 5/15 inch holes.