Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3 sided garage

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 06:41:30 -0500, "RBM" wrote:

"benick" wrote in message
"Owen Robb" wrote in message
I am looking for some guidance on a garage issue that I have.

The back story is that I have acquired a house that was built in
1978-79 in Alberta, Canada. The house was finished and then the
garage was added to the house. I am now rewiring, insulating and
adding cabinets to the garage. As I was looking over the garage to
frame up the wall that is against the house I realized that in fact I
have a 3 walled garage. On the fourth wall against the house the
garage is butted up to the house. So I have a stucco wall inside my
garage. The roof line and the two walls that butt the house are
properly tied in and there are no leaks.
My issue is when I frame up the fourth wall (have to run power) should
I insulate and if I did what would I do about the vapor barrier ? If
I do not have to insulate then I would go with 2 X 4 framing but if I
do insulate then I would go with a 2 X 6 frame.
I guess my third option would be to run electrical conduit and mount
the plugs on the stucco wall

Any ideas would be helpful. Just remember that I need to insulate so
that I can use the garage for a wood shop.

He HAS to frame a fire wall between the house and garage and sheetrock it
with 5/8 Fire Code sheetrock all the way to the roof line...2x4 is fine or
2x6 if you pefer....He also has to have a fire rated door between the
garage and living area...Insulation optional , but I would..Never have
enough in my book plus it will be an added sound barrier which SWMBO will
like when the compressor or table saw is running...HTH...oops I just
noticed you're in Canada...I think the codes are the same...You should
call your CEO to be sure...

Whatever the building code requirements are, should have been met when the
garage was built

Cade when the house was built and code today are AT LEAST 2 different
things.
I would frame it in and sheet-rock it if I was using it as a shop.