Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Default 5" ROS choices?

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 2/7/2011 9:53 AM, Max wrote:

My thanks to all who contributed to the discussion; especially Karl and
Leon.
I still would like to know if the Festool *requires* a special
(proprietary) sanding disc or can I use other brands of abrasives.

Max ... I've seen videos of guys punching holes out of sheets of different
types of hook and loop abrasives and using them on Festool sanders ...
this was for special purposes where there was no comparable Festool
abrasive available, so it can be done.

I don't know whether any other sander manufacturer's abrasives will fit
Festool sanders because of the hole pattern (there is center hole), but
they are hook and loop so I certainly don't why see someone wanting to cut
out some paper dolls couldn't have had it.

Haven't found the Festool paper to be out of line with other high quality
abrasives, particularly since you get a lot more mileage out of the paper
when using the dust extraction system, and get a lot more work done with
fewer sheet of abrasives.

That's about the best I can do ... check out the FOG forum, ask the
question, and there is little doubt your will get much more informative
answers.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Many thanks.
I did post the question at the FOG forum and got essentially the same info
as you provided.
I also checked some prices and, as you say, the Festool prices aren't out of
line.
I'll be ordering my sander and abrasives tomorrow.

Max