Posted to uk.d-i-y
John MacLeod John MacLeod is offline

Default Can cheap skirting look like oak?

On Feb 7, 10:28*pm, David Robinson
wrote:
Cheap "pine" skirting from local builder's yard is less than £1/m. MDF
oak is £5+/m, and real oak is similar.

We're having some engineered oak doors, and just want to wax them (no
shiny finish for the kids to chip off). It would be nice if the
architrave and skirting vaguely matched, but not at £5/m.

I was looking at liquid beeswax to get a similar finish and colour,
but found an old post on here that suggested applying Colron light oak
stain to pine made it even more yellow - that's not the look we want
at all.

Yeah, I know, don't be so cheap, or it won't look anything like!

It's going on top of oak effect laminate btw. We really are trying to
go for child-proof and cat-proof.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
David.

You can grain it to look like whatever you want. Not difficult at
all, despite allegations to contrary.

However I've never thought of laminate flooring as being remotely
childproof or catproof.

John