Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chade Chade is offline

Default What wood you do?

On Feb 5, 10:06 pm, Chade wrote:
Hello,

A tree blew over and I've been chainsawing it up. I noticed it seems
to have some attractive heartwood.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've decided not to try to turn it
on a lathe, just cut and polish a slice for use as a clock. To that
end I took a cut piece standing on it's end on the wet ground, with
another bit sitting flat on top, and cut a thick slice off each end of
the bottom piece then sealed the ends with a coat of PVA. Later I'll
take a slice from the middle to polish as a clock. Any ideas how long
it will take to dry?

I've got some coppiced Ash pieces to take down. There about six inches
thick. If I sealed the ends with PVA as soon as they were cut would
they dry okay? I'd like to turn them but if I split them they would be
pretty thin.

There is also what is definitely a Lime tree that a friend wants me to
fell, it's tall, straight and without branches until about half way
up. Though this is thicker, a good eighteen inches. If I wanted to
prepare it for carving would I still need to quarter it as well as a
PVA coat for the ends?