Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default cost of LPG gas comparison

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 14:48:46 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 13:38:49 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson wrote:

We're seeing about 10 cents per kWh here at the moment for propane,
whereas our electric baseboard heat is charged at 4.5 cents per kWh, so
it's significantly more expensive to heat via propane.

And both a damn sight cheaper than here. There are about 2 NZD to the
GBP so your propane is about 5p/kwhr and lecky 2.5p/kwhr. Is that lecky
some for of cheap rate (off peak) tarrif or what you pay for all your
electricity?

I'm in the US, not NZ - so I think that's about 6.1p/kWH for propane and
2.7p/kWH for 'leccy. The electric for the baseboards is load-controlled,
so gets switched off remotely by the power company at peak periods
(leaving the propane furnace* to pick up the slack). I think we're on
around 8 cents/kWH for "normal" supply, so about 4.9p.

* typical US forced-air setup with bulky ductwork that blows dust all
over the place and creates a lovely freezing-cold breeze in various parts
of the house. CH boilers and rads are expensive this side of the
Atlantic, though :-(

cheers

Jules