Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Snowblower engine needs choke to run smoothly

In ,
ransley typed:
: On Feb 4, 11:20 pm, Taylor wrote:
:: My snow blower has a Briggs & Stratton 7.5 hp "Powerbuilt
:: Snow" horizontal engine. It has always need a little
:: choke to run smoothly after it warms up. With no choke it
:: runs, but stumbles slightly. With one click it is a bit
:: smoother, and with two clicks it runs the smoothest. More
:: than that, there is too much choke and the engine will die.

No, mine have filters. It's part of the can that covers the carb air intake
and has the choke handle sticking out of it. They have never been plugged by
anything. You must have heatless engines.

::
:: Thinking that perhaps something is clogged in the
:: carburetor/jet, I replaced the whole carb with a new one.
:: The result is exactly the same.
::
:: I have fresh gas, use Sta-Bil, etc. I'm not overly
:: worried about it, I just use two clicks of choke for best
:: power.

::
:: However, I suspect that I'm not getting the full 7.5 hp
:: with the choke restricting air intake. I'm also curious
:: what the problem is. A repairman said that all engines
:: are tuned lean due to EPA rules. Of course there is no
:: way to adjust the mixture.
::
:: Any ideas what causes this? Is the repairman right about
:: the mixture set overly lean on purpose?
:
: Ive never seen a snow blower with an air filter as others
: state they have, it would get wet and restrict air thats
: why they dont have them, an air filter will make it run
: richer needing less choke, not more.
:
: How do you know the carb isnt just a poor rebuild, ive
: seen 6 bad starters in a row. It isnt getting enough fuel
: or it has an air leak at the manifold or maybe somethings
: cracked or loose letting in air. I would check the seal if
: the gasket and check everything. You could take it apart
: and run wire through the jets to see if they are actualy
: clean and blow it out with compressed air or put in in carb
: boil, or enlarge the main jet a bit, but be carefull.
: Ususaly needing a choke means you need a carb cleaning from
: old gas varnishing the jets, Ive a a bit of dirt logged in
: a passage do that and compressed air fixed it.

It's interesting how some of the basics get ignored like the gas tank outlet
covered with dirt or water, hoses plugged or kinked & not getting fuel TO
the bowl in sufficient quantity, or even the float stuck (or sinking?) and
so on. No one has even yet mentioned checking the bowl to see if it's
filling or rate of output, all that easy kind of stuff.