Posted to alt.home.repair
Heather Mills Heather Mills is offline

Default Best glue for sink faucet cap

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 11:16:03 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

Frank wrote in
:

On 2/5/2011 2:16 AM, Heather Mills wrote:
We have a bunch of sink faucets with what I think are porcelain caps.
The caps cover a hole. A couple of them have popped off. Here's a
photo.

http://tinypic.com/r/2eb8io7/7

I'd like to glue the cap back on, but don't know what glue to use.

It looks like they used some type of contact cement originally. I
chipped a little off and laid a chip sideways on the top at about
10:00. The chip is slightly amber in color and a little flexible.

I don't think silicone sealant will be stroing enough, but am afraid
to use something like epoxy, because it looks like a plumber might
need to pop them off for repair work.

Can someone tell me what the right glue is?

Not exactly the same, but similar situation. I used a dab of Gorilla
glue figuring I can break it off if/when necessary. I agree, I would
not use epoxy.

contact cement;a small dab,not to cover the whole contact surface.
you can buy small bottles of contact cement,or big cans.

After rummaging around in the garage, I found 4 tubes/bottles of
various adhesives.

1. GE Premium Silicone Glue. I think I bought this 4-5 years ago to
fill some cracks around a window air conditioner. My only concern
about this is whether it is strong enough. It should be OK. The little
cap won't get much stress.

2. Gorilla Glue. I found an unopened bottle. I think it's about 2-3
years old. My concern about this is that it's too strong. A plumber
might have to break the cap if it ever needs to be removed.

3. DAP Weldwood Contact Cement. I found a small bottle that is about
80% empty. I had to pry the lid off. The glue inside is very thick
(like peanut butter). It's probably at least 6-8 years old. Is it
still good? I can go get anothger bottle if this is the right glue.

4. Amazing Goop Plumbing.

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/ag_adhesives.htm

I didn't know I had this tube. The tube is opened, but almost full.
It's got to be several years old as I don't remember buying it. The
glue looks a little like silicone sealer, but clearer (not milky). It
smells like the glue that I remember from putting together model
airplanes as a kid. The carton says it's permament, so I'm thinking
it's too strong for this repair.

Any comments? I'm inclined to use the silicone sealer.