Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default key ring where to buy?

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 06:22:15 -0800 (PST), N8N
wrote:

Hello all...

was frustrated recently by a key ring and realized that I'd been
meaning to ask for a while where one should buy them. Of course, the
obvious answer would be "a hardware store" or "a locksmith's shop" but
let me explain...

Every key ring that I have seen offered for sale is pretty much the
same, it's a ring (actually a double ring) of spring steel that you
put your keys on. However, when I drop my car off at a mechanic's and
they put one of those little tags on my key ring, the ring that they
use to hold the tag is infinitely better. It's a triple loop of much
smaller spring steel, thus making it easier to get my keys on/off the
ring if I have to, and more importantly, if I have a very large key
that requires that the key ring be sprung open wider than normal (such
as a car key,) it still springs back to normal. The key and the
remote for my company car are also held together by such a ring.
However I have never seen this kind of ring offered for sale, but I'd
gladly buy 10 or 20 of them if I had.

When I drop my car off, which is rarely, they use much cheaper rings,
that go about one 1.3 times around and I'm sure I could bend with my
fingers.

The simplest thing I can think of is to ask the place you drop your
car off if you can buy some. If they say no, ask them where they buy
theirs. (Truly, it's funny how people work and this second question
may cause them to say, here's some for free, or at least to name a
price.)

Then I would try keyrings.com . Hey, there really is such a page,
although it is mostly personallized keyrings and may not really have
much variety mechancially. But I see they do have a category called
Split Rings, except on my browser it's empty.
http://www.namifiers.com/Products/Ca...D=SPLITKEYRING

Anyone know what I'm talking about,

No. I don't think I do.

, and know where I can buy some of
these?

Googling on split key ring bulk gave a bunch of things including:
http://www.amazon.com/36pc-Locksmith.../dp/B003675R7K
but I don't think one can tell if they are what you want. You could
write the vendor. Write via ebay so your questoins and answers are
recorded there.

Currently I have one key ring that I have to periodically wrap
with scotch tape so keys don't fall off in my pocket.

What?

It got "sprung"
when I put a 50 yen piece on it (the 5 yen and 50 yen coins have holes
in the middle) for decoration, I know, dumb idea in retrospect. I'm
sure one of the other kind would have been fine however.

Is this a troll? If yours is sprung, get another one for 5 cents or a
quarter. The new ones aren't sprung. (Unless you shop at a specialty
store for spring rings.) It doesn't have to be triple. The ones they
sell everywhere and often give away for free are fine.

nate